Sunday, December 11, 2016

Tutoring Time: Can I Actually Write? (Arabic Week 22)

So I mentioned previously that I was having a tough way of going about this. My initial plan wasn't working as well as I had hoped and my confidence was draining. There needed to be some direction in what I was doing. You can't exactly get to a final destination if you don't have a map.

I decided a few weeks ago to get some tutoring. It wasn't going to be too intensive, just help get a foundation that I could build on. My hope was that after a few lessons I would be able to start applying what I learned into expanding my skills.

I was able to find a "community tutor" who was able to work with me from Palestine and immediately I could tell a difference. The first thing we did was go over verb conjugations, which hadn't been explained to me yet, and suddenly I took off. Although I was struggling to get words out as effectively, I was happier knowing that what I was doing was actually correct. Previously, I was only memorizing phrases, but now I can manipulate a sentence to mean something different with just a few words.
So many notes to write in Arabic, in English, to listen, to say, bah! Gotta keep up!
The lessons have been difficult at times. Being as they are only an hour we try to jam as much information into that hour as possible, which usually leaves me overwhelmed by the end. Also, due to the time differences, the lessons are all at 5am. This has left me exceptionally exhausted at times but if I want to make this work, I have to make it a priority. It isn't just when it is convenient that I practice; I need to make time for this and put forth the effort.

One thing really struck me during my last lesson which was Friday morning. Whenever I am presented a new work, I am given both the English phonetic spelling as well as the Arabic spelling. With newer words that are being presented to me, I have been able to write them out in Arabic BEFORE I am even given the spelling. This was exciting knowing that I am starting to differentiate certain letters that sound similar. This was a small but happy win in the Alex column.
We're making progress guys! On day at a time.
I have one more lesson in a week before I have to decide to sign up for more lessons or to go back on my own. At this time I'm not sure which way I will go. Both ways have their benefits so I'm hoping after the lesson I will have a better idea of which I want to pursue. For now, I'll leave you with another Arabic video!
Accidentally used the wrong verbs when talking about my dog, so pretend I am talking TO him, about him, and it totally works.......

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment